Friday, February 18, 2011

When Harry met Sally


Let’s step away from violence for a little nice and go back to a nice and feel-good love story: When Harry met Sally, released in 1989, directed by Rob Reiner, and starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan (pre-surgery). 
Before / After
This romantic comedy follows Harry and Sally from the time they meet as graduates through several encounters over the years, and asks whether men and women can ever just be friends.

I probably saw it 6 or 7 times, but still enjoy it.  The most famous scene of course is at the beginning, while Harry and Sally are having dinner. Sally argues that men cannot recognize whether a woman is faking and orgasm, and proves her point right in the middle of the restaurant, before proceeding with her meal as if nothing happened. A nearby customer then asks the waiter : “I’ll have what she’s having”. 


This is a movie that I think aged well, one of my favourite quotes is the following, that I relate to more and more as I get older.

Sally: No, no, no, I drove him away. AND, I'm gonna be forty. 

Harry: When?

Sally: Someday. 

Harry: In eight years.

This film, for me, is the pioneer of all romcoms, and a pioneer in addressing the typical men/women relationships – when you take He’s just not that into you for instance, still the same theme! Meg Ryan is stuck-up, eccentric yet traditional, yet still loveable. I loved the many many different hairstyles she has throughout the movie, just to highlight time is passing. I liked the part where they are trying to set up their best friends with each other and, as always, it does not go as planned. A classic, a good moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment