Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ratatouille


I hate to be rude, but we're French

 

Ratatouille (2007) is like Monsters Inc, a film officially for kids in reality for adults! I like movies that portray life in a world we do not know about: bugs in Bug’s Life, mice in Flushed Away, toys in Toy Story, etc…. With Ratatouille, PIxar studios have outdone themselves, for our great pleasure. Here little rat Remy lives in the country with his family and has a knack for putting together ingredients, and a passion for food, and Chef Gusteau.

 

From the beginning we are drawn in, as the frame freezes and Remy bursts through a window carrying a book over his head.

Remy: [voiceover] This is me. I think it's apparent that I need to rethink my life a little bit. What's my problem? First of all, I'm a rat. Which means, life is hard. Second, I have a highly developed sense of taste and smell.

 

After being separated from his family, Remy eventually lands in Paris, where he and a dreamy boy, Linguini, revolutionize Gusteau’s kitchen, out of popularity since the death of its head and since the assassinating critic by Anton Ego. Of course, Remy and Linguini have to work in spite of mean Skinner, the new head of the kitchen, determine to make his the Gusteau’s empire. Obstacles keep rising but Remy is passionate and will prevail. Add a little twist and a little love to the story, and you have the perfect recipe for a good moment.

 

Skinner: Surely you don't expect me to believe this is your first time cooking?

Linguini: It's not.

Skinner: I KNEW IT!

Linguini: It's my second, third, fourth, fifth time. Monday was my first time.

 

Linguini: [in dream sequence] Do you know what you would like this evening, sir?

Anton Ego: Yes, I'd like your heart roasted on a spit. Heh heh heh heh. Ha ha ha!

 

Linguini: You're Anton Ego.

Anton Ego: [chuckles] You're slow for someone in the fast lane.

Linguini: And you're thin for someone who likes food.

[crowd gasps]

Anton Ego: I don't LIKE food. I LOVE it. If I don't love it, I don't SWALLOW.

 

 



Ratatouille is mainly about arguing that brilliance and creativity can come from anyone, anywhere, even if it is met with resistance. Said resistance is impersonated both by Skinner and by Anton Ego, the food critic voiced by Peter O'Toole ; though for most of the film he is portrayed as insufferable, he eventually changes his opinion. Maybe the scene is a bit long, but I really wanted to share it.

Animation is a masterpiece, even better than Monsters Inc, and I cannot believe I am saying this! The views of Paris are realistic and breathtaking, giving the movie a sense of realism. All in all, a light hearted and inspiring film.

 

That said, I have to admit, if I found a rat cooking in my kitchen tomorrow, even fantastic dishes, I cannot guarantee I would just hug it welcome...!

 

Two inspiring movie quotes to conclude:

Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.

 

If you focus on what you left behind you will never see what lies ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment